ACH payments are processed differently from other forms of payment. The processing time can take several days, depending on when the request is sent and several other factors.
How Long Does It Take For Funds To Be Received In My Bank Account?
ACH payments aren’t instant. It can take several days for the funds to reach your bank account, typically 3 business days. So, if a transfer is sent on a Friday, for example, the transfer activity wouldn’t start until Monday.
Here’s how the process works:
- First, the ACH file is submitted to the bank. Once the bank processes the file, it’s sent to the ACH network.
- The customer’s bank receives the file, debits the account, and the funds are credited to your bank.
- The customer’s bank has two days from the date of the transaction to alert the ACH network of any failures. Failures may be due to insufficient funds in the account, incorrect payment details, or the ACH file being submitted incorrectly.
- Your bank receives a notification from the ACH network, and the funds land in your account.
ACH debit payments are only processed three times per business day. If your request is submitted after the cut-off time, your request won’t be processed until the next day.
Can I Get Payment Instantly?
At this point in time, it’s challenging to make instant payments through the ACH network. However, same-day processing is possible.
Can I Get Same Day Funding?
Yes. Nacha has made same-day processing possible for nearly all types of ACH payments, including credits and debits. However, there are some important things to note:
- Same-day processing does come at an additional fee
- Transactions are limited to $1 million
- International transactions aren’t supported
Same-day processing isn’t available through every bank.