The digital revolution has forced thousands of businesses to evolve or get left behind. While it may have taken a while, the auto parts industry has also been slowly evolving to embrace digital solutions, including modern point-of-sale (POS) systems and retail merchant services.
The Benefits of POS Systems and Automation in the Auto Parts Industry
POS systems and automation can help solve many problems the auto parts industry has been facing for years, including:
- Order processing complications
- Online order management
- Invoicing and receiving payments
- Inventory management
- Marketing issues
The right POS system offers many advantages for auto parts stores, including:
Scheduling and Employee Management Features
POS systems make it easy to schedule employee shifts or assign certain tasks to certain employees.
Clover, for example, offers a robust staff management solution that allows you to:
- Measure results through detailed reports. See which employees are your top performers.
- Define roles and access levels for employees.
- Create shifts and schedules.
- Manage vacation time.
- Reward employees through revenue sharing or tip sharing.
- Calculate commissions for employees.
- Run payroll, and more.
Employee management can quickly become chaotic if you don’t have a solution to keep things organized. POS systems that offer scheduling and employee management help ensure that your business is running smoothly and can help prevent understaffing issues.
One of the most apparent benefits of POS systems for auto parts stores is inventory management. Tracking inventory, especially when it’s across multiple locations, can be challenging without a POS system.
Simply scan deliveries as soon as they arrive to ensure accurate inventory management. Then, each time an item is purchased, the system will automatically deduct it from your inventory count.
In the auto parts industry, inventory management can quickly get complicated and disorganized. A POS system streamlines and automates much of the process to save you time and frustration.
Accounting Software Integration
Many POS solutions, including Clover, can integrate into accounting software for easy inventory and accounting management from one solution. Integration may come at an additional monthly cost (depending on the provider), but you’ll save time and reduce errors.
Shipping for Online Orders
Many auto parts stores want to offer online ordering or in-store pick-up options to meet the ever-changing needs of their customers. The right POS system will make it easy to manage online orders.
Whether you’re delivering to their door or offering curbside pick-up, a POS system helps keep your online orders organized and ensures that customers receive their items as quickly as possible.
Auto Parts POS Systems are Evolving
Retail merchant services are evolving to meet the needs of today’s consumers. When consumers shop at auto parts stores, they want convenience and a streamlined purchasing process. Your POS system should never hold your business back from making sales.
A POS system must accommodate the way that consumers make purchases and pick up their items.
- Curbside pickup options are available at major auto parts stores. This option allows consumers to order online and tap an app to alert the store that they’re waiting for their items in the parking lot.
- Contactless solutions rose in demand following the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and empowered retail store owners to take payments while keeping both their customers and employees safe.
Handheld and mobile POS systems are also helping retailers accept phone orders and payments without the consumer ever entering the store.
An entire shop can be managed with a smart point of sale system.
The time when multiple devices and software were operated independently is long gone. Businesses have the option of using systems that integrate neatly together and allow staff members to:
- Run sales reports
- Make schedules
- Manage inventory
- Track stock
Even in-depth scheduling is easy to add with advanced point of sales systems. In addition, real-time stock updates in the system further help improve service and support to offer a well-rounded experience for customers.
For example, when a customer is checking out and realizes that they forgot to pick up a cabin air filter for their vehicle, the clerk can quickly check inventory and prices on the system. There’s no need for the customer to go and try finding the right part.
When it comes time to close out an order, the system allows for payments within seconds.
Point of sale systems also play an important role in improving customer engagement, which is the backbone of return customers and long-term profitability.
Customer Engagement Through Retail Merchant Services
Customer engagement drives repeat sales, and you can build a strong brand identity with the right engagement strategy. You can make your auto parts POS system work for you and help build your engagement strategy.
Platforms, such as Clover, offer the opportunity to:
- Connect with customers to ask them for feedback. When customers provide feedback and make changes based on this information, you’ll quickly build a base of routine customers who know that you value their opinions.
- Invite customers back with real-time promotions. Your system can offer discounted parts to prepare their autos for winter, such as snow tires, oil filters and more.
- Rewards are a major marketing strategy at national auto parts stores, but smaller retailers can also offer these rewards. Offer loyalty rewards and perks right through your auto parts POS system to keep customers in your store.
When your POS system helps you engage with your customers, they’ll spend more and purchase more frequently. Loyalty programs can increase repeat customers, with 36% of program members stating that they shop at stores with loyalty programs more often.
Engagement and loyalty programs increase customer lifetime value (CLV) and help you leverage the high cost of attracting a new customer.
The right system will allow you to show appreciation to customers, create customer profiles and even store payment options.
Auto merchant services help auto part stores run more efficiently. Working closely with a retail merchant services company can help you streamline your store’s operations to meet the demands of today’s consumers.